Pennsylvania Railroad-Whitewater River Bridge
South face of arch
Photo taken by Anthony Dillon in August 2010
BH Photo #174967
This span is a unique combination of a massive stone arch approach span over a roadway, and a 2-span Pratt deck truss over the river. I do know that it is tied into the nearby Pennsylvania Railroad Station, so I am assuming that it was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad. The stone arch is likely of older vintage than the deck trusses as a concrete base has been added where the trusses sit on the arch.
Another opportunity for our railroad enthusiasts to add to (or correct) the information I have given here.
The bridge also crossed the C & O railroad on the east side of the Whitewater river. That right of way was converted into the Cardinal Greenway, a pedestrian and bike trail which gives easy and legal access to the east side. The Pennsylvania Railroad line which this bridge served was heavily rebuilt and upgraded in 1910 and that is likely when the newer part of this bridge was added. The stone arch on the west side would likely date from before the 1910 update.
- Deck truss bridge over Whitewater River on Norfolk Southern Railroad in Richmond
- Richmond, Wayne County, Indiana
- Open to traffic
- Originally built about 1870, current trusses built in 1902 on original stone substructures.
- - Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O; CO)
- Conrail (CR)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- 2 Span Pratt deck truss over the Whitewater River with a beautiful stone arch approach over a roadway. The stone arch is likely original, whereas the deck trusses might be a replacement for an earlier span. The stone arch is probably ca. 1880 and the deck truss ca. 1900
- Also called
- NS - Whitewater River Bridge
PRR - Whitewater River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.83537, -84.89599 (decimal degrees)
39°50'07" N, 84°53'46" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/680035/4411603 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 45986 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 12, 2019: New photo from Tony Dillon
- April 20, 2013: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added East Branch to "crosses"
- January 9, 2011: New photos from Ed Hollowell
- January 3, 2011: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added to history and discription.
- August 28, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added photos and fixed my coordinate screw-up
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com