Charles Road-Martindale Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Anthony Dillon
BH Photo #136153
This span might well represent the only survivor from the New Castle Bridge Company's transitional period from moving to Indianapolis in 1902, before changing their name to Central States Bridge Company in 1905. The company was originally founded in New Castle, Indiana about 1895 and enjoyed much prosperity around the turn of the century. In 1901 some of the stockholders felt a move to the state capitol would offer a wider base of operation and more business. T.J. Burk, who was the original founder dissented and sold out his shares. He immediately started working to form a new bridge company, and in 1902 the Pan American Bridge Company filled the void in the Henry County seat. While both companies would go on to enjoy many decades of success, it should be noted that Central States would be defunct by the early 1950's while Pan American would last until 1965.
- Pratt through truss bridge originally over Martindale Creek on Charles Road.
- Wayne County, Indiana
- Relocated to Koteewi Park in Hamilton County and rehabilitated for reuse.
- Future prospects
- Relocated and preserved
- Built 1904 by the New Castle Bridge Co. of Indianapolis,IN
- - New Castle Bridge Co. of New Castle, Indiana
- Pinned Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 97.4 ft.
Total length: 101.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 8.0 ft.
- Also called
- Former County Bridge #229
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.97495, -85.10330 (decimal degrees)
39°58'30" N, 85°06'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/661965/4426699 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Greens Fork
- Inventory numers
- INNBI 8900172 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 17242 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 17, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- November 15, 2016: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added new information and an essay.
- March 7, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added County bridge number
- February 15, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added GPS coordinates
- March 29, 2009: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- October 23, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon
- October 4, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon