Sage's Ferry Bridge
Photo from SHAARD
BH Photo #155934
This bridge was built in 1883 at the same time (and same contract) as the Millport Bridge that also spanned the Muscatatuck on what is now SR 135. This bridge sat on square iron cassions and cost $18.42 per lineal ft. (approximately $2,394) plus $1,000 for the iron substructure. Both bridges were built during the first year of operation for the Indianapolis Bridge Company. But while the Millport Bridge (a Whipple truss) featured the ornate portal decorations that would become a signature feature of the Indy firm, the Sage's Ferry Bridge featured portals that were copied from Wrought Iron Bridge Company designs. The Indianapolis Bridge Company was started by Soloman Godman who previously was a bridge designer for WIBCo.
- Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Muscatatuck River on IN 39
- Washington County, Indiana, and Jackson County, Indiana
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1883; rehabilitated 1974; replaced 1992
- - Indianapolis Bridge Co. of Indianapolis, Indiana
- 9-panel, pinned Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 129.9 ft.
Total length: 169.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.4 ft.
- Also called
- Muscatatuck River SR 39 Bridge
Indiana State Highway Bridge #39-88-5498A
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.75493, -85.93460 (decimal degrees)
38°45'18" N, 85°56'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/592573/4290120 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 013060 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 39732 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 14, 2019: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
- July 13, 2019: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added historic name and other information.
- February 21, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added builder and truss type, changed other information.
- February 8, 2009: Added by James Baughn
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Melissa Brand-Welch - melissabrandwelch [at] msn [dot] com