Erie - SR15 Overpass (Eastbound Track)
SR15 bridges eastbound
The lower, ground-level eastbound span.
Notice the "Eat Zorro's Peach" writing. This was a well-known quirk of the two bridges in their late years.
Thanks to "Wabash Memories" on Facebook for the photo.
BH Photo #308289
Chicago and Atlantic Railroad was originaly a single track railroad across most of it's Western end of the line's Chicago to New Jersey line. In time(1911 to 1916), many sections were double tracked such as in this location, but the newer grade was built at a higher elevation in many places neccesitating odd arrangments such as this "double" set of bridges over a rural Indiana highway. Railroad was abandoned and tore out in the 1980's, and at some point these set of bridges were also removed and part of the railroad grade fill was used to level out this location where today one might not notice that a railroad passed through here, much less the magnificent sight these structure would have given the many passing motorist of yesteryear as they dipped below them.
Written by James Norwood
Check out the Link area below for a view of this bridge in the foreground with a Westbound Erie train passing on the other bridge behind this one, plus a extra picture of an Eastbound Erie train showing the grade elevation differences. Second pic is probably taken from Westbound track bridge.
- Lost Concrete rigid frame bridge over State Road 15 on Formerly Chicago and Indiana Railroad Eastbound track(nee Erie Western, Erie Lackawanna, Erie, Chicago and Atlantic Railroads)
- Wabash County, Indiana
- Erie Railroad was double tracked in this area. Two Structures side by side, but at different elevations. Westbound track was at a higher grade. Line abandoned and pulled up in the 1980's. Chicago and Indiana Railroad was the last operator (1979
- - Erie Railroad (ERIE)
- Much simpler than it's sister Westbound track bridge.
Total length: 30.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.98412, -85.89192 (decimal degrees)
40°59'03" N, 85°53'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/593214/4537585 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 44601 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 5, 2019: New photo from Jen Savage
- November 14, 2014: New photos from Owen Fishback
- March 25, 2010: Essay added by James Norwood