Possum Bottom Covered Bridge 14-83-03
Photo taken by Tom Hall in September 2005
BH Photo #123619
Was historically known as the Jackson Ford Covered Bridge. Became known outside the local area as the Hillsdale Covered Bridge, so named for the community it was nearest to. The Possum Bottom name was given to it by the locals and refers to the area around the stream in which the bridge was originally located.
Written by Robert Stephenson
Built in 1876 by J.J. Daniels.
Originally crossed Little Raccoon Creek near the community of Possum Bottom next to where state road 63 and US36 cross now. Moved in 1972/73 to the Ernie Pyle rest park on US36, East of Dana.
- Covered bridge over dry land on a pedestrian path at Emie Pyle Rest Park Park
- Vermillion County, Indiana
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1876, relocated in 1972-73
- - Joseph J. Daniels
- Covered Burr arch-truss
Length of largest span: 104.0 ft.
Total length: 124.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 10, 1994
- Also called
- Jackson's Ford Covered Bridge
Hillsdale Covered Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.79721, -87.45350 (decimal degrees)
39°47'50" N, 87°27'13" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/461175/4405348 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 94000584 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 14-83-03 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 37009 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 27, 2018: New photos from Mike Daffron
- May 26, 2018: New photos from Mike Daffron
- January 10, 2012: New photo from Ruth Reynolds
- April 25, 2010: New Street View added by J.P.
- May 22, 2009: Essay added by Robert Stephenson
- September 10, 2008: Updated by Tom Hall: Photo, build date
- July 31, 2008: Added by Anthony Dillon
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Tom Hall - thomas [dot] hall [at] ffni [dot] com
- Robert Stephenson - seinfeld99 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Ruth Reynolds - ruthmusic [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Mike Daffron - daffmikron [at] gmail [dot] com