Eugene Covered Bridge 14-83-05
Photo taken by Tom Hall
BH Photo #115741
Text from a historic plaque near the south end of the bridge:
"County commissioners ordered (1873) to replace unsafe bridge over Big Vermillion River at Eugene. Built 1873 by Joseph J. Daniels, Rockville: Burr truss design, 180 foot span, using existing abutments. Closed to vehicle traffic, 1974. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1994"
- Covered bridge over Vermillion River on CR 40W at Eugene
- Vermillion County, Indiana
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1873; closed to vehicle traffic 1974; rehabilitated 1983
- - Joseph J. Daniels
- Covered Burr arch-truss
Length of largest span: 176.8 ft.
Total length: 187.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 10, 1994
- Also called
- County Bridge No. 75
Vermillion River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.96933, -87.47333 (decimal degrees)
39°58'10" N, 87°28'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/459578/4424460 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 8300086 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 94000585 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 14-83-05 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 17137 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2004)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 15.9 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2004)
- April 25, 2010: New Street View added by J.P.
- May 6, 2009: Updated by Robert Stephenson: Name, GPS and NRHP data
- October 10, 2008: Updated by Tom Hall: Changed type, added builder, common name
- Tom Hall - thomas [dot] hall [at] ffni [dot] com
- Robert Stephenson - seinfeld99 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Jacob P. Bernard
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com