Moscow Covered Bridge 14-70-07
Photo taken by Chris Light
BH Photo #102982
A massive F3 tornado on the evening of June 3, 2008 touched down just to the East of the Moscow Covered Bridge and essentially "sucked" the landmark off of it's abutments and into the Flatrock River. The iconic span was first thought to be lost, but after closer inspection it was determined that enough usable parts remained to rebuild it. With support from the Governor and grants from outside sources, along with donations of lumber and skilled labor the bridge is being restored with no taxpayer dollars being spent. Although the heavily scarred landscape East of the bridge will remain for many decades, the Moscow Covered Bridge will once again proudly stand tall.
- Two-span covered bridge over Flatrock River on CR 900S at Moscow
- Rush County, Indiana
- Damaged by a tornado on June 3, 2008. Bridge rebuilt using old and new materials.
- Built 1886 by E. L. Kennedy; rebuilt 2010 by Dan Collom & Sons
- - Dan Collom & Sons
- Covered Burr arch-truss
Length of largest span: 159.4 ft.
Total length: 345.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 2, 1983
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.48483, -85.55500 (decimal degrees)
39°29'05" N, 85°33'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/624269/4371577 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 7000176 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
WGCB 14-70-07 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 83000096 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 17001 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 44.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 14, 2018: New photos from Mike Daffron
- November 9, 2010: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- September 25, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: changed status. Bridge is finished and open to traffic again.
- September 5, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added new builder information and history
- September 4, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- August 7, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- July 21, 2010: New photos from Ed Hollowell
- July 8, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- May 23, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- May 1, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- April 19, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- April 2, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- March 21, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- January 16, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: I changed the status of the bridge to reflect that it is not lost and is being rebuilt.
- November 3, 2009: Updated by Anthony Dillon: status update
- May 24, 2009: Updated by Brian McKee: Added World Guide Number to Title
- July 5, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon: changed status
- June 4, 2008: Updated by Max Johnson
- August 21, 2006: Photos taken by Chris Light
- Chris Light - CJKADJ [at] juno [dot] com
- Dale Travis Covered Bridge List
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Brian McKee - bjmckee51 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
- Bill Eichelberger
- Mike Daffron - daffmikron [at] gmail [dot] com