Old SR 244-Flatrock River Bridge
Photo taken by Jim Cooper in June, 1981
BH Photo #469487
Built in 1903 on what was then County Road 200 South, it was taken over by the state when State Road 244 was formed in 1932.
On March 10, 1980 an overweight truck crossed it causing a partial collapse. The issue was apparently with the cut stone substructure, which may have been reused from an earlier span. A temporary bridge was built on the North side and used until it was replaced 3 years later.
Thanks as always to Jim Cooper for the information and use of his photos!
- Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Flatrock River on State Road 244
- Rush County, Indiana
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1903; Bypassed with a temporary span 1980; Replaced 1983
- - New Castle Bridge Co. of Indianapolis, Indiana
- 11-panel, pinned Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 168.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
- Also called
- Old County Road 200 South Bridge
State Highway Bridge #6055
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.49674, -85.54869 (decimal degrees)
39°29'48" N, 85°32'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/624790/4372907 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 88848 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 4, 2020: New photos from Tony Dillon