Avery Ridge Road Bridge
This is the site of the Shoals Covered Bridge that was built in 1865 by W.T. Washer. The covered bridge was damaged by flooding in 1967 and the counties decided to replace it. The 1865 cut stone abutments were deemed to be reusable and the current deck plate girder was brought in and placed on them. The girders were most likely salvaged from another location, possibly from a railroad bridge that was out of service. There has been much confusion concerning the NBI data which gives the date of 1968 when the girders were placed. Normally when a substructure is reused the date of it's construction is given.
- Deck plate girder bridge over Anderson River on Avery Ridge Road
- Perry County, Indiana, and Spencer County, Indiana
- Open to traffic
- Stone abutments date to 1865 with girders replacing a covered bridge in 1968.
- Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 92.2 ft.
Total length: 94.2 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
- Also called
- Perry County Bridge #121
Spencer County Bridge #152
Anderson River CR 1300 N Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.07540, -86.77835 (decimal degrees)
38°04'31" N, 86°46'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/519440/4214203 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 75453 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 17, 2019: New photos from Mike Daffron
- February 18, 2019: Updated by Tony Dillon: Changed some information and added description concerning the 1865 abutments.
- February 17, 2019: New Street View added by Jeff Wieland
- February 1, 2017: Added by Mike Daffron
- Mike Daffron - daffmikron [at] gmail [dot] com
- Jeff Wieland
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com