Freedom Covered Bridge
Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection
Covered bridge at Freedom 1942
Courtesy, The Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana. For commercial uses, please contact the Lilly Library at 1200 East Seventh Street, Bloomington, Indiana, 47405-5500 or at http://www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/
BH Photo #433285
Originally constructed as a 4-span covered bridge by J.J. Daniels in 1882. In 1898 something happened (There are several different stories) and the 2 West spans were lost. A 300 ft long steel Pennsylvania truss was built to replace the missing spans. In 1966 the remaining covered spans were replaced with a concrete slab. One set of trusses was dismantled and stored with the intention of using them on the IU campus in Bloomington, that never came to fruition and the bridge was lost. The steel truss bridge was later relocated and preserved.
- Lost Bridge over White River on Freedom Road, CR 590 S
- Owen County, Indiana
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built in 1882 by J.J. Daniels
- - Joseph J. Daniels
- Burr arch-truss
Length of largest span: 615.0 ft.
Total length: 627.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.20543, -86.86697 (decimal degrees)
39°12'20" N, 86°52'01" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/511486/4339581 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 82550 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 9, 2019: New photo from Tony Dillon
- August 19, 2018: Added by Mike Daffron
- Mike Daffron - daffmikron [at] gmail [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com