1 vote

CR - Dry Branch Creek Bridge


South side

Photo taken by Brent Tindall in February 2016

License: Released into public domain


BH Photo #349142

Street View 


Stone arch bridge over Jennison Street/Dry Branch Creek on Former Conrail Railroad/Peoria Eastern Railroad
Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana
Open to traffic
Built 1901
- F. C. Lingenfelter (Assistant Engineer)
- M. A. Neville (Engineer)
- Yawger & Betterfeld of Indianapolis, Indiana (Contractor)
- Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway (CCC&StL; Big Four)
- Conrail (CR)
- New York Central Railroad (NYC)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Peoria & Eastern Railroad (P&E)
Stone arch
Total length: 70.0 ft.
Also called
Big Four Dry Branch Creek Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.03457, -86.91616   (decimal degrees)
40°02'04" N, 86°54'58" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/507152/4431597 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Inventory number
BH 54117 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • February 24, 2021: New photo from Tony Dillon
  • February 21, 2016: New photos from Brent Tindall
  • August 16, 2015: Updated by Luke: Added builders via information posted to the forum by Jerry Turner .
  • May 24, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Changed status
  • October 22, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "Peoria and Eastern Railroad", "Conrail", "Railroad"


  • J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Luke
  • Brent Tindall - bizzat219 [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com


Big Four Dry Branch Creek Bridge
Posted August 16, 2015, by Jerry Turner (jlturner9 [at] gmail [dot] com)

Crawfordsville Sunday Star (September 2, 1901) The arch was completed at 5:30 pm on Friday August 30 with the last stone set. A metal box was inserted into the stone that had the following writing:

“A. J. Yawger, the contractor acting as the master of ceremonies on the conclusion of his work: Bridge 91 West P. & E. RR over Dry Branch, Crawfordsville IND.

Completed Aug. 30, 1901

J. A. Barnard - Gen. Manager

C. A. Paquette - Superintendent

M. A. Neville - Engr’. M of W.

F. C. Lingenfelter - - Ass’t Eng’r

J. E. Perry - - - - - Inspector

J. W. Markley - - Supt. B.& B.

D. Kiley - - - Supt. Tracks

Yawger & Battefeld - - Contractors

E. M. Coughlan - - Superintendent

H. Bierman - - - - Mason

Last Ston set at 5:30 P.M.

A.J. Yawger, Master of Ceremonies

No life was lost and no injuries sustained by anyone in the dangerous work. Not a train was delayed and yet work has been one of the great gravity. Bridge superintendent Markley, largely responsible for the work, should feel proud of the successfully completion of the great contract”

Big Four Railroad Bridge
Posted May 24, 2013, by Brian McCafferty (neabinorb [at] gamil [dot] com)

this bridge is still in use. it's railroad bridge that connects to a factory. we wish it was not in use by the railroad since it blocks access from town to a recreational trail built on the track bed beyond the bridge.