Nickel Plate IMC Pipe Creek Bridge
Photo taken by James Norwood
BH Photo #162731
- Deck girder bridge over Pipe Creek on Nickel Plate Trail, formerly Norfolk Southern(nee N&W, Nickel Plate Road, Lake Erie and Western, Peru and Indianapolis, others) in Bunker Hill
- Bunker Hill, Miami County, Indiana
- Open to pedestrians
- Future prospects
- Currently part of the "Nickel Plate Trail", part of the Indiana trails fund. Rail line was abandoned and Railbanked in 1999. Railbanking ensures ROW is left intact for possible reactivation for rail use, or utility use.
- Once part of the Peru and Indianapolis Railroad to connect those two cities(2nd oldest in Indiana), Later saw NYC trains use this line as well. Last used by Central Railroad of Indy RR before abandonment in 1999. IMC denotes Indy to Michigan City.
- - New York, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad (NKP)
- Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Two 35 foot and 2 128 foot deck girder spans.
Length of largest span: 128.0 ft.
Total length: 326.0 ft.
- Also called
- Bridge 1347 of Nickel Plate Road.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.66958, -86.10113 (decimal degrees)
40°40'10" N, 86°06'04" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/575973/4502466 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Bunker Hill
- Inventory number
- BH 42460 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 17, 2010: New photos from James Norwood
- April 28, 2009: Essay added by James Norwood
- April 27, 2009: Added by James Norwood