East LaPorte Street Footbridge
Photo courtesy of the Indiana State Department of Natural Resource, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology.
BH Photo #191262
The 100' structure consists of two approximately 20' high verticals fabricated from pairs of laced angles embedded in caissons. Angles set inward at 45 degrees to the tower-verticals are bolted from the tower top to the lower chord; they are counterbalanced by pinned, adjustable cylindrical eyebars also set at 45 degrees and which extend outward to where the lower chord and the concrete abutments meet; and thus the whole consists of two cantilevered kingpost spans joined through an extension of their I-beam lower chords. The inner panel of the longest kingpost has been subdivided to make the top chord more rigid. Designers added a diagonal from the bottom of the pier-tower to the middle of the top chord and an adjoining vertical of a pair of angles. The lower chord supports a 6' timber deck.
Description from SHAARD
- Footbridge over Yellow River on E. LaPorte Street (Pedestrian)
- Plymouth, Marshall County, Indiana
- Open to pedestrians
- Built in 1898 by the Rochester Bridge Company
- - Rochester Bridge Co. of Rochester, Indiana
- SHAARD refers to this as a Kingpost, but it appears to have a cantilever element to it as well.
Total length: 100.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.34022, -86.30440 (decimal degrees)
41°20'25" N, 86°18'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/558199/4576759 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 47469 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 10, 2016: New photos from J.R. Manning
- October 10, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- December 30, 2010: Added by Anthony Dillon
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net