CSX - Hunt Bridge
This is a hard bridge to get pictures of
Taken from another nearby track, which I had to climb up to.
Photo taken by Anthony Dillon in January 2010
BH Photo #163725
Bridge was built in or shortly before 1918 when the mighty Pennsylvania Railroad wanted a line to Chicago from Indy of it's own. For many years before this, they ran from Chicago to Kokomo over their own line's and then turned onto the Lake Erie and Western Railroad's Michigan City to Indianapolis line(ironically controlled by the New York Central, and later owned by the Nickel Plate Road) for the run to Indy. This LE&W line hosted PRR, NYC, and it's own LE&W trains during this time causing considerable expense and delay due to congestion of this route. The PRR had a former Vandalia Railroad line running from South Bend to Terre Haute via Logansport and Frankfort that was tapped to host part of this new route. Construction between the PRR's own St. Louis line near today's Indianapolis International Airport at a location called Davis Junction heading North through Lebanon and eventually to Frankfort, afforded the Pennsy a connection to it's own former Vandalia Railroad line to continue to Logansport and thence turn onto the former Panhandle line for the run to Chicago. Later, it hosted through freights from Louisville and points South as well as the "Southwind" passenger train that lasted into Amtrak in the early 70's before it too was rerouted. Today the line is still intact from it's split from the PRR St. Louis line to just North of Frankfort. Ironically, it's starting point at Davis Junction is the end of the PRR St. Louis line today after it's run from downtown Indy after Conrail began running the former New York Central line, which this bridge crosses, on it's run to Terre Haute and the ex PRR line is abandoned and tore out with some areas in the process of being made into a trail. Nearby road underpasses of Concrete Arch construction were replaced within the past 10 years on this rail line, but this bridge still remains. I believe another truss bridge (double tracked)survives just North of here where the line crosses another former CSXT line of B&O Heritage that was abandoned many years ago. Yet another is North of the B&O where the I&F line crossed over the former Peoria and Eastern(NYC). BY JGN September 6 2010
- Through truss bridge over CSX Railroad (fomer Conrail, Penn Central, NYC) on CSX Transportation (former Conrail, Penn Central, Pennsylvania Railroad)
- Avon, Marion County, Indiana
- Still in use
- Former Pennsylvania Railroad I&F (Indy and Frankfort) Branch bridge over former New York Central (Big Four) St. Louis line. Amtrak utilizes this bridge today on it's route from Indy to Chicago, as well as CSXT to Frankfort and Crawfordsville.
- - CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Riveted Pratt through truss
- Also called
- "Hunt" bridge(Control Point name for railroad, ie South Hunt and North Hunt in reference to the two connection tracks between these two rail lines.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.76036, -86.30288 (decimal degrees)
39°45'37" N, 86°18'10" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/559713/4401392 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 44702 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 5, 2010: Updated by Matthew Lohry: Corrected Bridge type: This is a variation of the Baltimore through truss.
- September 5, 2010: Updated by James Norwood: Added railroad history and information, date
- September 1, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Removed from unknown status, bridge is in use
- July 8, 2010: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Added truss type.
- April 25, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- April 2, 2010: Added by Joshua Collins
- Joshua Collins - Bigjc1979 [at] aol [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Bill Eichelberger
- James Norwood
- Matt Lohry