CSX - US 40 Overpass
View Looking West From East Of The Bridge, Showing The Roadway Of U.S. 40, And The East Elevation Of The Bridge
Photo taken by Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #153553
Part of the former Pennsylvania Railroads Indianapolis and Frankfort(I&F) branch, today this bridge location is used by Amtrak and a small amount of freight trains.
- Lost concrete arch bridge over US 40 in Indianapolis
- Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1917; replaced 2003
- - CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Conrail (CR)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
Span length: 66.9 ft.
Total length: 66.9 ft.
Deck width: 48.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.3 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.73833, -86.29694 (decimal degrees)
39°44'18" N, 86°17'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/560241/4398951 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numers
- INNBI 013840 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 16539 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 3, 2011: New photo from Jim Grey
- September 7, 2010: Updated by James Norwood: added railroad info
- January 29, 2010: Updated by Robert Stephenson: Status
- Robert Stephenson - seinfeld99 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- HAER IN-88 - Vandalia Railroad Bridge, Spanning U.S. Route 40, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN
- James Norwood
- Jim Grey - mobilene [at] gmail [dot] com