Moss Island Bridge (1st)
1870s (1869?) Builders photo?
Swan & McKeown This rare Swan & McKeown photograph (ca. 1870s) is of the iron Bow String-style bridge that crossed the White
River at Moss Island carrying the newly-constructed 11-mile Anderson & Perkinsville Turnpike. The bridge was the first one
constructed over White River in the western half of Madison County. The view is looking north. After crossing the bridge, the
turnpike turned left on what today is Moss Island Road. The road to the right is today's North Shore Boulevard that leads to Raible
Avenue. It is believed the occasion was the opening of the bridge. The Anderson photographer's equipment wagon is parked
beside the road. The horse is unhitched and probably grazing nearby after completing the over three-mile journey from downtown
Anderson. The men positioned on and near the bridge are most likely bridge builders assembled for the historic photograph. Also
note the clean, recently quarried limestone bridge abutments and the clean wooden bridge flooring. The height difference in the two spans is attributed to the shorter one being over land while the taller one is directly above the river.
Photo uploaded by Art S.
View this photo at heraldbulletin.com
BH Photo #474532
If the article is correct, there were two bowstrings at this crossing. this being the original and the other entry being a replacement installed around 1910 (after the 1913 floods?). If true, it was likely a used bowstring relocated from elsewhere.
copied from: https://www.heraldbulletin.com/community/if-the-river-could-...
Speaking of Moss Island, if the river could talk, it would tell of the only bridge of the Bow String style to cross its waters. There were apparently two versions of this style, both called the Moss Island Bridge and at the same crossing site. The first was photographed by Anderson photography firm Swan & McKeown in the 1870s. A second version with a slightly different appearance and a little longer was built in 1910. It was this bridge that was the subject of many postcard views and photographs because of its unique style. A concrete bridge replaced it in 1920 and then was torn down in 1986.
- Lost Bowstring through truss bridge over White River on Moss Island Road
- Anderson, Madison County, Indiana
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built in 1869, replaced by a used (?) bowstring in 1910
- - Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio
- D.H. & C.C. Morrison of Dayton, Ohio
- Bowstring through truss
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.11438, -85.71966 (decimal degrees)
40°06'52" N, 85°43'11" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/609108/4441238 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 89710 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 27, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer