Davis Ferry Bridge
This is the east pier of this bridge, the deck and structure of which has long since been removed.
Photo taken by Jim Grey in July 2010
BH Photo #169736
All that's left of this bridge is two piers in the river.
This bridge was built on the site of the former Davis Ferry and was described as the "Iron Bridge" by two different sources, Weston A Goodspeed; 1884 History of Lawrence County and Thirty Years in the History of Lawrence County 1884 to 1917; Guthrie, James M. 1958.
In the Goodspeed book the cost is quoted at $27,000 which it points out is the same exact price as the Tunnelton covered bridge. It did not give an exact date of construction, but it was clear that it was after 1870 and before 1884.
In the Guthrie book it points out problems with the "Iron Bridge". The approach on the east side was flood prone and the final bit of that approach was very steep so that many had trouble pulling wagons up to bridge height. In the west side a 90 degree turn was necessary as the bridge went right into a steep hill side. He said "the bridge was raised in the 1920's"
In the Summer of 1929 the was a discussion about possibly moving this bridge to the site of the old Wood's Ferry crossing to the west. I looked at a 1934 Atlas and that doesn't appear to have ever happened.
- Lost Bowstring through truss Bridge over East Fork White River on possible old alignment of US 50
- Bedford, Lawrence County, Indiana
- Removed but not replaced
- Built 1875; Raized in the 1920's
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio (Likely Fabricator)
- Bowstring through truss
- Also called
- Mitchell Pike Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.82173, -86.51158 (decimal degrees)
38°49'18" N, 86°30'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/542398/4297107 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Bedford West
- Inventory number
- BH 45657 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 13, 2021: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
- October 13, 2021: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added truss type
- February 10, 2016: New photo from Ed Hollowell
- August 3, 2013: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added road names
- July 21, 2013: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added history and alternate names
- July 20, 2013: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Enlarged entry
- October 13, 2012: New photos from Jim Grey
- July 16, 2010: Added by Jim Grey
- Jim Grey - mobilene [at] gmail [dot] com
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Melissa Brand-Welch - melissabrandwelch [at] msn [dot] com