Salt Creek Bridge Old SR 158
Photo taken by Joshua Collins
BH Photo #111648
This is possibly the oldest remaining iron bridge to be built by the Smith Bridge Company.
- Through truss bridge over Salt Creek on CR 10 South
- Lawrence County, Indiana
- Bridge removed by a complete act of stupidity and lack of commonsense.
- Built in 1876 by the Smith Bridge Company
- - Smith Bridge Co. of Toledo, Ohio
- pinned Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 95.1 ft.
Total length: 97.1 ft.
Deck width: 14.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.2 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Lawrence County Bridge #100
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.85995, -86.53223 (decimal degrees)
38°51'36" N, 86°31'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/540584/4301338 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Bedford West
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 4700125 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 16511 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 05/2006)
- Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 19.3 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2004)
- August 25, 2017: New photos from Mike Daffron
- April 29, 2017: Updated by Mike Daffron: Added bridge number and photos
- March 4, 2012: Updated by J.P.: updated replacement notes.
- November 5, 2011: Updated by J.P.: bridge has vanished.
- November 18, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added verified build date
- April 11, 2010: New photos from James McCray
- March 29, 2010: New photos from J.P.
- February 2, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added GPS coordinates
- January 14, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- August 24, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon
- June 24, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon: builder and changed date
- Joshua Collins - Bigjc1979 [at] aol [dot] com
- Tom Hall - thomas [dot] hall [at] ffni [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Mike Daffron - daffmikron [at] gmail [dot] com