IHB over 5th Avenue Overpass
IHB 5th Ave Wide
Wider shot of the bridge.
Photo taken by Korry Shepard
BH Photo #428924
Bridges were completed June through August of 1907 by Chicago, Indiana and Southern Railroad and Chicago Lake Shore & Eastern Railway (EJ&E) on behalf of New York Central/Lake Shore & Michigan Southern. Alco passing siding sat on top. Property of Gary & Western Railroad (non-operating entity) until 1914 when New York Central consolidated it into its system. Indiana Harbor Belt operated almost exclusively on this line, which was at a time half owned by Milwaukee Road. Milwaukee Road stored grain on Alco passing siding to serve grain distributors in the Gary area. The "City Track" has a spur that serviced Walter Bates Steel across 5th Avenue.
Video exploration (spring 2018) https://youtu.be/onut0R--xW4?t=21m29s
- Abandoned pony/through plate girder bridge over U.S. Route 12 on Us 12 Eb
- Gary, Lake County, Indiana
- Built August 1907 by Chicago, Indiana and Southern Railroad and Chicago Lake Shore & Eastern Railway (EJ&E) on behalf of New York Central/Lake Shore & Michigan Southern. Alco passing siding sat on top. Property of Gary & Western Railroad until 1914.
- - Attorney Frank Gavit, Charles E. Fowler, George W. Lewis and Chief Engineer Reynolds;
- - Chicago, Indiana & Southern Railroad (CI&S)
- Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (MILW; CMStP&P; CMStP)
- Chicago, South Shore, & South Bend Railroad (CSS)
- Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway (EJE)
- Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad (IHB)
- Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad (LS&MS)
- New York Central & Hudson River Railroad (NYC&HR)
- This bridge has three spans. The bridge over 5th Avenue has a unique double girder, the outer most with New York Central branding still visible on the eastern side. The second span, being a pony plate girder, crosses over the CSS/NICTD main line. The final span crosses the ex-EJ&E/CN City Track and is a pony/through plate girder.
Length of largest span: 117.0 ft.
Total length: 329.0 ft.
Deck width: 30.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 30.0 ft.
- Also called
- Gary & Western over 5th Avenue
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.59974, -87.31387 (decimal degrees)
41°35'59" N, 87°18'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/473843/4605384 (zone/easting/northing)
- 625 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 003200 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 81709 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 6, 2018: New photo from Korry Shepard
- May 29, 2018: Added by Korry Shepard