Nine Span Bridge
January 13, 2013 was a very somber, grey day. Somehow an appropriate benediction as the bridge carried traffic for its last full day.
Photo taken by Roger Deschner January 13, 2013
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
BH Photo #247310
Demolished and replaced nine span through truss bridge over Gibson Rail Yard on Indianapolis Blvd IN-152 in Hammond IN. This bridge was closed for demolition and replacement starting Monday January 14, 2013. Replacement structure opened in December 2013. One span was disassembled and stored for 10 years, available for reuse within Indiana. Besides its great length, this bridge was unusual for its skewed truss spans, most easily visible at the intermediate portals. (see videos or Google street view). It was also unusual in that the spans differed in both length and height, giving it a haphazard asymetrical appearance from the side.
- Lost through truss bridge over Gibson Rail Yard on Indianapolis Blvd. in Hammond
- Hammond, Lake County, Indiana
- Demolished and replaced.
- Future prospects
- One span is available for reuse within Indiana.
- Built 1935, rehabilitated in 1984, to be demolished 2013
- - E.J. Albrecht Co. of Chicago, Illinois
- Riveted, skewed Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 245.7 ft.
Total length: 2,117.2 ft. (0.4 mi.)
Deck width: 39.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.7 ft.
- Skew angle
- 19 degrees
- Also called
- Indianapolis Boulevard Bridge
Gibson Rail Yard Bridge
Indiana State Highway Bridge #152-45-1031E
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.60583, -87.48056 (decimal degrees)
41°36'21" N, 87°28'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/459956/4606125 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 027660 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 16483 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 12/2011)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 34.6 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- May 28, 2017: New photos from Tony Dillon
- December 10, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
- May 9, 2013: New video from Roger Deschner
- January 25, 2013: New photos from Roger Deschner
- January 24, 2013: Updated by Roger Deschner: Updated description, added videos
- January 18, 2013: Updated by Tony Dillon: Updated status per forum post
- January 8, 2013: Updated by Roger Deschner: Update demolition date, common name of bridge
- December 17, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated planned demolition date from 2014 to NOW.
- April 19, 2010: New Street View added by J.P.