Blake Road Bridge
Photo Source: Indiana SHAARD, Taken July 2007
BH Photo #202143
Indiana SHAARD Statement of Significance: The designer of this bridge planned an unusually long and decorated through-girder structure.
Architectural Description: Because of its greater rigidity, the reinforced concrete through girder can be extended beyond the T-beam's ordinary limit of span (40'-60' long). In a through structure, a pair of girders - large beams that receive their loads from other beams - flank the roadway and usually carry the deck above floor beams (which run from girder to girder and whose reinforcing rods are interlocked with those of the girders). The through girder is preferred where the roadway is not far above stream level adn T-beams could obstruct the watercourse more than would girders which do some of their carrying above the level of the roadway.
The girders of this 44' structure are about 5' high and 18" wide. They span 41' and are decorated with raised endposts and coping. Transverse floor beams carry a concrete deck and a 16' asphalt roadway. The girders rest upon concrete abutments which are in turn flanked by wingwalls.
- Concrete pony/through girder bridge over Lewis Creek on Blake Road
- Jefferson County, Indiana
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Slated for demolition and replacement.
- Built 1925
- Concrete through girder.
Length of largest span: 40.0 ft.
Total length: 44.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.7 ft.
- Also called
- Jefferson County Bridge #39
Lewis Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.78056, -85.64000 (decimal degrees)
38°46'50" N, 85°38'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/618130/4293303 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2000)
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 3900026 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 48961 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2008)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 22.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 21, 2011: Added by Nathan Holth