Highland Park Duck Pond Bridge
East side as seen from road within park
Just upstream, waterfall right at bridge. Access road off to left has not been open for many years and is today hard to even see it existed.
BH Photo #163563
Site of first Kokomo city Swimming area before Seashore(now Kokomo Beach) was built. Now Duck pond. Bridge was single lane and destroyed by trash truck trying to access other side of this dead end road within Highland Park. Now a footbridge at site.
Written by James Norwood
This small bridge can be seen in the "b" movie "Terror Squad" starring Chuck Connors of "The Rifleman" fame. Terror Squad was a really bad movie shot mostly in Kokomo, that features a scene where the terrorist's crash their early 1970's blue Ford LTD sedan into the duck pond just upstream from this bridge and it's adjacent manmade waterfall. It may be hard to find today. Film was shot in 1986 or 87 close to the time the bridge was destoyed.
It was always a treat when my parents would travel over this bridge when taking our occasional drives through Highland Park. Doing so afforded us the best view of the adjacent waterfall coming out of the duck pond. There wasn't really anything on the other side except a small parking area in the summer. In the winter, the nearby hills were sledding attractions and many used this bridge to access that area. When cold enough, the Duck pond(or old swimming hole) would turn into a ice skating rink which with the bridge helped turn the site into a Norman Rockwell painting type of atmosphere. Today the site of the old bridge has a generic metal footbridge to access the other side and park employee's get their vehicles over there via an old access down the hill from Boulevard Street.
- Lost Pratt pony truss bridge over Kokomo Creek on Park Access Road in Highland Park
- Kokomo, Howard County, Indiana
- Collapsed due to an overweight truck
- Built ca. 1900; Collapsed due to an overweight truck in the late 1980s
- - Canton Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio (Likely Fabricator)
- 5-panel, pinned Pratt pony truss
- Also called
- Highland Park Waterfall Bridge
Highland Park Kokomo Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.46372, -86.14055 (decimal degrees)
40°27'49" N, 86°08'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/572864/4479582 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Kokomo West
- Inventory number
- BH 42627 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 2, 2021: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added information.
- August 23, 2014: Photos imported by James Norwood
- April 23, 2010: New photo from James Norwood
- May 30, 2009: Essay added by James Norwood
- May 29, 2009: Added by James Norwood
- James Norwood
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com