NKP - Kokomo Creek bridge
East side April 2009
Old Indiana Union Traction Interurban bridge South abutment seen behind NKP bridge in this shot as well.
Photo taken by James Norwood
BH Photo #139029
Written by James Norwood
Interesting note about this location is that the former interurban railroad Indiana Railroad(nee Indiana Union Traction) ran alongside the old Peru and Indianapolis line from Kokomo to Noblesville. Actually the interurban went on further North to Bunker Hill alongside the old P&I(NS, N&W, NKP, LE&W)IMC line except for the segment within Kokomo city proper. The interurban has been gone since the 1930's and it's own Kokomo Creek bridge abutments still remain today hidden from view behind it's sister. That alone is strange due to the nearness of US 31, from which no trace is visible of the old interurban line and the current Central Railroad of Indianapolis/Norfolk Southern track is overgrown and embargoed, aka railbanked, with the road crossing paved over with signals bagged and turned and "Tracks Out of Service" signs installed. This is one of the few remaining remote locations within Kokomo that most don't know about. Accesible from nearby "Eagles Aerie", just watch out for the angry geese that frequent the creek and adjacent Lagoon of Chrysler's Kokomo Transmission Plant. Rail line is up for abandonment, currently being sought by another railroad for purchase, so future is unknown except for bridge is to remain in place even if rails come up.
- Deck girder bridge over Kokomo Creek on Central Railroad of Indianapolis(nee Norfolk Southern, N&W, Nickel Plate Road, Lake Erie and Western, Peru and Indianapolis), soon possibly trail in Kokomo
- Kokomo, Howard County, Indiana
- Future prospects
- Purchased by Howard County for future trail use
- - New York, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad (NKP)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Deck plate girder
Span length: 65.0 ft.
Total length: 65.0 ft.
- Also called
- IMC Milepost 52.5 bridge
IMC stands for Indianapolis to Michigan City, a Nickel Plate Road division name.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.45330, -86.11689 (decimal degrees)
40°27'12" N, 86°07'01" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/574881/4478445 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Kokomo East
- Inventory number
- BH 42242 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 12, 2020: Updated by John Marvig: added information
- April 23, 2009: Essay added by James Norwood
- April 7, 2009: Added by James Norwood
- James Norwood
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com