NKP - Wildcat Creek Bridge
Nearby Slag pile from abandoned factory has been cleared and more angles are now available to photo this bridge, April 2010
Photo taken by James Norwood
BH Photo #162358
Had many platforms on South side of bridge deck for railroad personnel to be able to step off of track gauge. Limestone block abutments with some concrete.
- Deck plate girder bridge over Wildcat Creek on Winamac Southern Railway(nee Central Railroad of Indianapolis, Norfolk Southern, N&W, Nickel Plate Road, Toledo St. Louis and Western Cloverleaf route), soon possibly trail in Kokomo
- Kokomo, Howard County, Indiana
- Closed to all traffic. This segment of railroad recently purchased by Winamac Southern Railway, but no trains have been over this bridge in at least a decade.
- Future prospects
- Recently purchased by another railroad, Winamac Southern Railway along with possibly US Rail Corporation, after last operator Central Railroad of Indianapolis attempted to abandon this rail line and trail groups had initiated attempts to get property. This segment still has ties to Norfolk Southern Railway, as they outright own track just South of bridge and on to Frankfort and formerly operated this entire line. Unknown what prospects rail line has in near future. Some segments nearby have been removed including another bridge and a road crossing. Trail groups probably are watching how this unfolds as well. April 2010
- Single track, on small grade. Part of former rail line stretching from Toledo, Ohio to St. Louis, Missouri. Last train over this segment was in or about 1999, has been dormant since with nearby bridge and road crossing removed.
- - New York, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad (NKP)
- Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Toledo, St. Louis & Western Railroad (TStL&W)
- Concrete supports, steel open deck, with railroad type step-off platforms
Length of largest span: 75.0 ft.
Total length: 150.0 ft.
Deck width: 10.0 ft.
- Also called
- Cloverleaf Wildcat Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.47491, -86.15991 (decimal degrees)
40°28'30" N, 86°09'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/571210/4480808 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Kokomo West
- Inventory number
- BH 42240 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 18, 2011: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: corrected some spelling in descripition
- April 13, 2010: Updated by James Norwood: added dimensions, updated status, added photos
- April 10, 2009: New photos from James Norwood
- April 7, 2009: Added by James Norwood
- James Norwood
- Daniel Hopkins - chimera [at] clovermail [dot] net