Rating:
6 votes

Twin Bridge

Share:

Photos 

Before restoration, showing the other "twin".

Before the concrete bridge was built in 1906, an iron railroad bridge sat directly over this bridge. The West abutment from that span remains.

Photo taken by Anthony Dillon

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This bridge, along with an abutment of the 'Big Four - Twin Bridges', & the 'CSX - W.F. White Lick Creek' bridge, which are listed here in Bridge Hunter, are all included in one 'Twin Bridges' listing in the NRHP (see Landmark Hunter).

Facts 

Overview
Through truss bridge over West Fork White Lick Creek on pedestrian trail
Location
Danville, Hendricks County, Indiana
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built 1886, restored for pedestrian use in 2008
Builder
- Indiana Bridge Co. of Indianapolis
Design
Wrought iron, Baltimore through truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 149.9 ft.
Total length: 152.8 ft.
Deck width: 15.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.2 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 15, 2000
Also called
County Bridge #178
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.75444, -86.50452   (decimal degrees)
39°45'16" N, 86°30'16" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/542445/4400620 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Danville
Inventory numbers
INNBI 3200137 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 00000200 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 16292 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 08/2006)
Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 13.6 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 2002)
630

Update Log 

  • May 3, 2016: New photos from Mike Daffron
  • January 19, 2015: Updated by Jim Allen: added NRHP note in description
  • September 22, 2013: New Street View added by Brent Tindall
  • August 28, 2010: New photo from Anthony Dillon
  • June 22, 2010: New photo from Jacob P. Bernard
  • May 11, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
  • February 15, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added GPS coordinates
  • March 8, 2009: New photos from Anthony Dillon
  • October 6, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon
  • July 26, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon: common name
  • June 24, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon: builder and changed date

Sources 

  • Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • Jacob P. Bernard
  • Wayne Grodkiewicz - WGrodkiewi [at] aol [dot] com
  • Brent Tindall - bizzat219 [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • Jim Allen
  • Mike Daffron

Comments 

Twin Bridge
Posted July 20, 2010, by Anthony Dillon (spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com)

It was a county road bridge until the road was realigned and the bridge abandoned. The road now runs parallel to the creek on the East side until it meets US36, and a new bridge wasn't needed to cross the creek.

The original railroad bridge was also wrought iron and sat directly over the highway bridge. When the concrete arches were constructed in 1906, the iron rail bridge was removed but the imposing West abutment still remains.

It was one of two known highway Baltimore trusses built by the Indiana Bridge Company of Indianapolis, shortly before they relocated to Muncie. The other span still stands abandoned in Martin County.

Twin Bridge
Posted July 20, 2010, by Jacob P. Bernard

Does anyone know what this bridge was used for before it was abandoned and restored?

Twin Bridge
Posted March 8, 2009, by Anthony Dillon (spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com)

New photos posted of this restored bridge.

Twin Bridge
Posted January 24, 2009, by Dan Reitmeyer (dan [at] clrconstruction [dot] com)

This bridge has been rehabilitated now. My company CLR Inc. completed the job. The floor beams all had to be replaced with new ones, which required riveting the built up beams just as the original ones were. New stringer beams had to be installed as the old ones were almost non-existing. Many repairs were made to the trusses as well and a new wooden floor installed. It is scheduled to be incorporated into a walking trail at a later date. It is a very beautiful bridge now.

New and old plaques were installed on each end of the bridge. Some of the original plaques were missing, so some of them had to be replicated. A new, heavy handrail was installed, which was riveted together by Ross Brown of Carroll County.

Twin Bridge
Posted November 18, 2008, by John (jayers [at] co [dot] hendricks [dot] in [dot] us)

The bridge has been renovated within the past year. It is still closed to vehicle traffic but will be incorporated into a trail eventually.

West Fork White Lick Creek Bridge
Posted April 8, 2007, by Anthony Dillon (spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com)

This bridge is known as the "Twin Bridge". It originally had an iron railroad bridge that sat directly on top of it. That bridge was replaced in 1906 by the concrete arches that still exist behind this bridge. One of the abutments of the original bridge still exist. The 1906 date given for this bridge is incorrect. It was actually built in 1886 by the Indiana Bridge Co.(Indianapolis)in the short time before they moved to Muncie. It is a rare highway Baltimore thru truss. They built another one in Martin County over Indian Creek that is also still standing but abandoned. The Twin Bridge is scheduled for rehabilitation, possibly even as I write this. The following picture shows the iron roadway bridge and the concrete railroad arches.

Webmaster's note: The photo that was here has been incorporated into the main site.