South side of PRR bridge with CandO track in foreground
Photo taken by James Norwood
- Abandoned pony/through girder bridge over Winamac Southern Railway owned, US Rail operated Railroad (CSXT, Chesapeake and Ohio of Indiana) Line is still in operation. on former Conrail (ex- Penn Central, Pennsylvania Railroad, "Panhandle")
- Converse, Grant County, Indiana
- Future prospects
- There is talk of extending the Sweetser Switch Trail, or Cardinal Greenway to include this bridge as it would run from Marion to Bunker Hill. Perhaps part of the "American Discovery Trail".
- Formerly double track railroad bridge, looks like it is currently single track setup, sans rails as line has been abandoned for about 20 years or more. Scene of a C&O derailment in 1925 as well.
- Pony/through girder
Total length: 50.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
- Also called
- Converse Railroad Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.57891, -85.85852 (decimal degrees)
40°34'44" N, 85°51'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/596609/4492640 (zone/easting/northing)
- 830 ft. above sea level
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory number
- BH 43812 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 31, 2010: Updated by Mark Frazier: Fixed typo in builder name
- April 23, 2010: New photos from James Norwood
- December 30, 2009: Essay added by James Norwood
- James Norwood
- Mark Frazier - mfrazier [at] kc [dot] rr [dot] com