The South Bend Tribune: September 14 1977
BH Photo #456682
In 1901 the county commissioners condemned the structure and purchased Bedford limestone for the foundations of a new bridge. However, the commissioners gave up their plan for a new structure when a nearby farmer, Eugene Nafe, drove his steam threshing rig over the span, thus proving its stability. Fortunately for the commissioners, Nafe purchased the Bedford stone and used it to construct a house.
* Courtesy of Dr. James Cooper
- Lost Whipple through truss bridge over Tippecanoe River on County Road 375 West
- Fulton County, Indiana
- Collapsed in October 1979 and replaced by a new bridge.
- Built in 1879 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company; collapsed into the river in October of 1979.
- - Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pinned, wrought-iron Whipple through truss
Total length: 153.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
- Also called
- Tippecanoe River CR 375W Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.11912, -86.31446 (decimal degrees)
41°07'09" N, 86°18'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/557551/4552207 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 77121 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 24, 2019: New photos from Melissa Brand-Welch
- January 29, 2019: New photos from Melissa Brand-Welch
- May 15, 2017: Added by Tony Dillon
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Melissa Brand-Welch - melissabrandwelch [at] msn [dot] com