Snow Hill Covered Bridge 14-24-09
Photo taken by Tom Hall
BH Photo #102803
I refuse to call the current work restoration, as way to much of the original historic timbers are being replaced. From what I have seen so far the county would have been better off bypassing it with a new span or moving it to another location. Not sure how it can retain National Register status when most of the historic integrity is lost.
According to the "Whitewater Valley Explorer" of June-July 1996 the name of this bridge came from the family who lived on the hill overlooking the bridge.
- Covered bridge over Johnson Fork Whitewater River on Snow Hill Road
- Franklin County, Indiana
- Restored and open for traffic.
- Built 1894 by William Butts and John Horn; rehabilitated 1987 and 2010-11
- - John Horn
- William Butts
- Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 44.9 ft.
Total length: 83.9 ft.
Deck width: 14.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.4 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 3, 1995
- Also called
- Johnson Fork Covered Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.32550, -84.85183 (decimal degrees)
39°19'32" N, 84°51'07" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/685166/4355099 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 2400072 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
WGCB 14-24-09 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 95000208 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 16164 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2016)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 63.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 14, 2018: New photos from Linda Daffron
- July 22, 2011: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Naming information
- February 18, 2011: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Updated status
- November 22, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Changed status and added other information
- November 9, 2010: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- May 18, 2010: New Street View added by Ed Hollowell
- May 18, 2010: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- March 24, 2010: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Added Google Street View.
- October 28, 2009: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
- November 6, 2006: Posted photo from Tom Hall