WVRR - West Branch Whitewater River Bridge
WWVR @ Whitewater Bridge
Looks like a lot of trees are piled up.
Photo taken by Ed Hollowell in January 2010
BH Photo #155602
Bridge for the Whitewater Valley Railroad to cross the Whitewater River at Laurel, Indiana. The railroad was originally built in 1867 and runs from Cincinnati to Cambridge City Indiana on the route of the Whitewater Canal. Later the route was owned by the Cleveland Cincinnati Chicago & St Louis ( The Big Four) and became a part of the New York Central in 1930.
Rebuilt for Big Four Railroad in 1906 with five spans of fabricated girders. Two spans were washed out in the 1913 flood and repaired with wood pilings until 66 foot plate girders were installed in 1914. The three remaining fabricated girders from the 1906 bridge were replaced with plate girders in 1925 brining it to the current configuration. Piers are from the 1906 build with parts of the abutments in stone which may date back to the original aqueduct of the canal.
In the 1970's the track was leased by the Whitewater Valley Railroad, a museum group for tourist excursions to the historic area at Metamora, Indiana where the canal and water powered mill continues to operate for visitors. In 1983 Whitewater Valley Railroad took control of the 17 miles from Connersville, Indiana to Metamora and operates excursions many weekends.
- Deck plate girder bridge over Whitewater River West Branch on Whitewater Valley Railroad
- Laurel, Franklin County, Indiana
- Open to traffic
- Replaced 1867 bridge for Whitewater Valley Railroad. Substantly modified in 1914 and 1925.
- - Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway (CCC&StL; Big 4)
- Whitewater Valley Railroad (WVRR)
- Girder on four concrete piers with abutments of older cut stone and newer concrete added.
Length of largest span: 66.0 ft.
Total length: 412.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.49503, -85.18606 (decimal degrees)
39°29'42" N, 85°11'10" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/655976/4373283 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 725 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 44179 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 16, 2018: New photos from Ed Hollowell
- March 4, 2016: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Correct status
- February 28, 2016: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Correct span lenght and add details to discription.
- June 1, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Whitewater Valley Railroad", "Railroad", "Big Four Railroad"
- February 19, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Correct date in description