Salt Creek SR 229 Bridge
These beautiful arches replaced the Peppertown or "Short" Covered Bridge and was within view of the "Long" Covered Bridge that spanned the Whitewater River.
- Lost concrete arch bridge over Salt Creek on IN 229.
- Franklin County, Indiana
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1939; replaced 1998
- - Indiana State Highway Commission (Design)
- Closed-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 60.0 ft.
Total length: 254.9 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
- Also called
- Indiana State Highway Bridge #229-24-3181
Short Covered Bridge
Peppertown Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.44618, -85.15045 (decimal degrees)
39°26'46" N, 85°09'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/659150/4367924 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2004)
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 029364 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 39142 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2015)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 97.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- July 22, 2011: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Alternate Name
- February 4, 2009: Added by James Baughn
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com