Rating:
No votes cast

Covington Covered Bridge

Photos 

Wabash River Bridge, Covington, Ind.

Historic Postcard view

BH Photo #516159

Description 

Built in 1852 for $38,000. It was a toll bridge until 1886.

The two East spans were destroyed by fire on October 11, 1914 and ferry service was started until a new bridge could be built. According to a September 16, 1915 article, the county commissioners asked the bridge contractor to make the bridge available to the public as fast as possible. The ferry had worked well until the beginning of the year, but there were problems in paying for the service. The article reports that the ferry was supposed to be free to the public, but there was a conflict between the board of county commissioners and the county council. The contractor agreed to open the bridge on September 20, 1915. The approaches weren’t finished but planks were put in place to provide access to the bridge. The bridge cost $32,000, and was called, despite what the caption info on the postcard says, "the best steel bridge on the Wabash river, north of Terre Haute." The day the bridge opened was the last day for the ferry, and it was moved north of Covington to "the Ferguson place and will be operated there, for the benefit of the community in that part of this and Warren County."

Facts 

Overview
Lost Through truss bridge over Wabash River on Pearl Street
Location
Covington, Fountain County, Indiana
Status
Destroyed by fire on October 11, 1914
History
Built 1852; Destroyed by fire 1914
Builder
- Nebeker & Adamson
Design
(3) Covered through trusses
(1) Open draw span
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.14007, -87.40531   (decimal degrees)
40°08'24" N, 87°24'19" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/465473/4443382 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 96062 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • January 25, 2022: New photos from Tony Dillon

Related Bridges 

Sources