Longwood Covered Bridge 14-21-01
Vintage postcard view
Photo taken by Bill Eichelberger
BH Photo #165797
As the Longwood Covered bridge approached it's 100th year, the condition of the span could only be considered dilapidated. It originally crossed Williams Creek on County Road 400 near Glenwood and was named for it's proximity to the Longwood Station on the B&O Railroad. As the last remaining of at least 4 Kennedy built covered bridges in the county, it's future seemed bleak. But in 1984, on it's 100th anniversary, it was moved to Roberts Park in Connersville. Apparently, a high school building trades class was largely responsible for saving this landmark that was nearly lost.
- Burr arch truss bridge over depression in Roberts Park
- Connersville, Fayette County, Indiana
- Open to pedestrians
- Built in 1884 over Williams Creek and moved to Roberts Park in 1984.
- - Kennedy Brothers
- Burr arch-truss
Length of largest span: 92.0 ft.
Total length: 108.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.66893, -85.12849 (decimal degrees)
39°40'08" N, 85°07'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/660525/4392686 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 14-21-01 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 81000011 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 45201 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 13, 2018: New photos from Linda Daffron
- February 10, 2016: New photo from Ed Hollowell
- December 7, 2015: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- May 18, 2010: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- May 13, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: added NRHP
- May 9, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added to discription