Early postcard image
BH Photo #398995
This was the first span to cross Sand Creek at this rocky, deeply entrenched location known as Scripture Ford. The bridge was likely part of an early road from Westport to Greensburg, and Mr. Scripture was the landowner. The very tall and impressive cut stone abutments had to have been quite an undertaking, but they were money well spent as they served not only this bridge but it's replacement in 1933. The Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin, Connecticut was the exclusive builder of the Lenticular Truss design. The stone substructure cost $8545.40 and was completed in early September of 1883. The superstructure was completed in October and $1567.10 was paid for it. The approaches and fill weren't completed until the following year and cost another $1850.00.
Credit goes to Jonathan Parrish for finding this incredible old image online!
- Lost Lenticular through truss bridge over Sand Creek on County Road 1000 South
- Decatur County, Indiana
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built in 1883 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company; Replaced in 1933
- - Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut (Fabrication & Erection)
- David A. Tucker (Construction Superintendent)
- Smith and Erastus Bussell (Stone substructure)
- 8-panel pinned, Lenticular through truss
Total length: 104.0 ft.
- Also called
- Scripture Ford Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.19069, -85.53846 (decimal degrees)
39°11'26" N, 85°32'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/626219/4338955 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 9 N., R. 9 E., Sec. 29
- Inventory numer
- BH 78053 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 3, 2017: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added new information per research by Jim Cooper.
- August 2, 2017: Added by Tony Dillon