Rating:
No votes cast

Possum Hollow Canal Culvert

Map 

Description 

Originally before the railroad, the Whitewater Canal was the major form of transporting goods in this area. The 76 mile canal originated in Hagerstown, Indiana and ran south to Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Construction of the canal began in 1836 and was completed in 1847. The railroad bed, back behind the canal, is the original towpath with the ditch next to the railroad being the remains of the canal. This culvert, which runs under the driveway of the nearby house and exits just left of the old white garage (Originally a Studebaker dealership.) is the only canal structure still existing between Harrison, Ohio & Lawrenceburg, Indiana. For more information on the Whitewater Canal, please visit: http://whitewatervalleypark.org/history.htm

Facts 

Overview
Stone culvert bridge over Possum Hollow Creek on Part of the Whitewater Canal
Location
Dearborn County, Indiana
Status
Closed to all traffic
History
Built Circa 1840
Design
Stone culvert
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.13285, -84.84209   (decimal degrees)
39°07'58" N, 84°50'32" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/686516/4333737 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Hooven
Land survey
T. 5N., R. 1W., Sec. 35
Inventory number
BH 44072 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

Closed (2,576)
Culvert (1,249)
Dearborn County, Indiana (62)
Indiana (4,623)
Owned by county (20,083)
Preserved (1,125)

Update Log 

  • February 11, 2010: Added by Satolli Glassmeyer

Sources 

Comments 

Possum Hollow Canal Culvert
Posted February 11, 2010, by Satolli Glassmeyer (info [at] scenicroadrallies [dot] com)

A few pictures taken January 16, 2010.