Cedar Chapel Covered Bridge
ca. 1936 C.C. Kain photo
Indiana Historical Society
BH Photo #446461
George Woerntz was described as a "Roving Eastern Bridge Builder", this span and the Houlton Bridge are the only ones known to have been built by him in Indiana.
When a new bridge was constructed in 1966 the old one was moved to the side of the road. It sat there for about 6 years before it was purchased by Conner Prairie Pioneer Settlement near Fishers in Hamilton County. They safely stored it intact for nearly 3 decades before it was finally restored and incorporated into the park.
- Howe through truss bridge over Cedar Creek on County Road 68
- De Kalb County, Indiana
- Relocated to Conner Prairie in Hamilton County for preservation.
- Built in 1884 by George Woerntz & Son; relocated in the 1970's to Conner Prairie in Hamilton County.
- - George Woerntz & Son
- Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 110.0 ft.
Total length: 124.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.27982, -85.11068 (decimal degrees)
41°16'47" N, 85°06'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/658224/4571541 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 84957 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 11, 2019: New photo from Tony Dillon