Photo courtesy of the Indiana State Department of Natural Resource, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology.
BH Photo #194427
The Clinton County Commissioners approved Nicholas Peters' petition in 1905 to replace the old wooden bridge adjacent to his land with a new structure. In 1906 the Commissioners accepted a $3,999 bid from Kelleer and Slipher to build a two-span, filled-spandrel, reinforced-concrete bridge. The rings were quite-flat segments about 18" deep at center and 2' at the abutment and pier.
Separation of the spandrel walls from the ring led county officials to remove all but the rings and to transform the structure in 1980 into an open-spandrel bridge with spandrel columns supporting a 12" deep slab deck. Cantilevered beyond the rings, the deck now carries a 24' roadway between metal rails.
Taken from SHAARD structural report
- Concrete arch bridge over Kilmore Creek on CR 400 East
- Clinton County, Indiana
- Open to traffic
- Built in 1906 for $3,999; rehabilitated 1980
- - Kelleer & Slipher
- Built as a filled-spandrel arch; remodeled in 1980 to an open-spandrel design with a wider, cantilevered roadway.
Length of largest span: 53.1 ft.
Total length: 113.8 ft.
Deck width: 23.9 ft.
- Also called
- County Bridge #70
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.34639, -86.43083 (decimal degrees)
40°20'47" N, 86°25'51" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/548337/4466359 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 1200070 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 15938 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 74.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 22, 2011: Updated by J.P.: updated design
- February 28, 2011: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added historic name and additional information
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com