Eel River Unfinished Bridge
Eel River East Pier
Part of Unfinished Bridge on Eel River.
Photo taken by Ed Hollowell in July 2010
This is a part of the same unfinished rail line as the Kitton Ditch bridge (BH 43726) and overpass that is near by. Sometime about 2009 the Eel River undercut and toppled the western most pier of the bridge and it is now fallen. A visit to the site in 2010 found exposed wood that was a part of the forms for the poured concrete piers visible. this wood had been preserved by being buried under the river bed since 1905.
- Bridge over Eel River on nothing
- Clay County, Indiana
- Never built
- An extension of the Southern Indiana to Indianapolis started in 1905 but not finished.
- - Southern Indiana Railroad
- Also called
- Walsh Railroad Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.39213, -87.02514 (decimal degrees)
39°23'32" N, 87°01'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/497835/4360293 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Center Point
- Inventory number
- BH 45892 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 14, 2011: Updated by Tony Dillon: Fixed several typos
- August 14, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added BH Number for Kitton Ditch Bridge.
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com