FT. W&WV/Wabash Overpass
Looking East January 2006
Shot just West of old overpass on Potawatomi Road which runs alongside the old Wabash RR(Norfolk Southern now). You can see North side abutment.
Photo taken by James Norwood
BH Photo #136928
Written by James Norwood
This bridge was shared by two different Interurban lines. First was the Ft. Wayne and Wabash Valley(later Indiana Service Corporation) which ran from Ft. Wayne to Lafayette and second line was the Indiana Union Traction Company(later Indiana Railroad). The IUT line met the Ft. W&WV line just East of here after IUT crossed the Wabash River and Kienly Island and used the same rail to get into Logansport which was IUT's terminus on this connection. It was reportedly signaled by some unknown way.
This bridge was the scene of a horrible wreck of two interurbans. One was a work train heading East with a Ft. Wayne and Wabash Valley crew, and the other interurban was a passenger car of the Indiana Union Traction line with a student motorman running the train(his trainer was beside him). I can't remember details, but I know at least a few people were injured. There is a historic report online from which I will post entire report from ICC archives below in comment section.
I believe the interurbans may have originally crossed the old Wabash Railroad at grade, with this bridge constructed later.
Today, all that remains are the concrete walled abutments, but the old Wabash Railroad line is very active with Norfolk Southern Railroad trains as they travel from Detroit to St. Louis and Kansas City. Old bridge location can be easily seen from Potawatomi Road which uses part of the old interurban line's right of way from bridge East out to a place called Miami Bend where 48th Street meets Potawatomi Road. Old North side of bridge still has it's embankment leading down towards end of Erie Avenue where remains of an old Wabash and Erie Canal lock can be seen near where an old abandoned factory,private residence and local HVAC contractor's business are now located.
- Lost Bridge over Norfolk Southern, ex N&W and Wabash Railroad. on Indiana Union Traction/Indiana Railroad and Ft. Wayne and Wabash Valley Traction/Indiana Services Corporation Interurban in Logansport
- Logansport, Cass County, Indiana
- Built to carry two interurban lines over the former Wabash Railway. Interurban lines came together to the East of bridge and used this line to get to Logansport. Built over old Wabash and Erie Canal right of way. Canal lock remnants still nearby.
- - Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Co. (FtW&WV)
- Indiana Rail Road (INRD)
- Indiana Service Corporation (ISC)
- Norfolk & Western Railway (NW)
- Union Traction Company of Indiana (UTC)
- Wabash Railroad (WAB)
- Bridge has been gone a long time(probably 1930's or 40's). Large angles Concrete wall abutments remain. South side abutment has been dug out and part of approach is now used for Potawatomi Road as it runs alongside old Wabash Railroad line and over old Interurban line East of here.
- Also called
- UTC/Wabash Overpass
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.74491, -86.33731 (decimal degrees)
40°44'42" N, 86°20'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/555947/4510651 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 42283 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 15, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Indiana Union Traction Co.", "Union Traction of Indiana", "Wabash Railroad", "Railroad"
- April 10, 2009: New photos from James Norwood
- April 9, 2009: Essay added by James Norwood