Rating:
No votes cast

Georgetown Bridge Wabash River

Photos 

Map of old bridge location is comparison to replacement

Map by James Norwood and Google Earth

Enlarge

BH Photo #136986

Map 

Brief History 

Written by James Norwood

This bridge replaced an earlier Covered Bridge that was said to be the longest one in Indiana at 1000 feet and was a Howe truss type. Ice gorges in 1912 severly damaged the bridge but it was repaired. The following March 1913, the worst flooding on record unindated the Midwest causing catastrophic flooding that finally washed away most of the covered bridge. Cass County immediately took to build a replacement structure made of concrete with a arch designed by noted Purdue University alum Daniel Luten, who was responsible for many of the bridges locally that were built after the great flood. It was a single lane structure connecting the community of Georgetown with the Southside of the Wabash River for connections to Clymers and Burrows. This site had the former Wabash and Erie Canal bed running through Georgetown, thus the Georgetown Towpath Ranch Road that met the bridge at it's Northen terminus. I can remember crossing this bridge during ice gorges in the late 70's, and it was scary to think the bridge could go at any moment, but it did hold for a few years more before Cass County commisioned a new bridge to be built just Downstream to connect with the Lockport Road. The old Concrete Bridge was soon demolished after completion of the new bridge and only remnants of it's concrete abutments remain on either shore. Georgetown today is a sleepy country community that sees the occasional fisherman casting a line off of the new bridge and farmers making their way across to tend to their fields. Some use the bridge for a shortcut between West and NorthWest Cass County to access Delphi, and Lafayette. The new bridge has an extremely wide deck that local grafiti artist love to paint.

Facts 

Overview
Lost concrete arch bridge over Wabash River on CR 675 West in Georgetown
Location
Georgetown (Cass County), Cass County, Indiana
Status
Replaced by new bridge
History
Built 1912; replaced 1987. Former bridge built to replace earlier 1883 covered bridge
Builders
- Daniel B. Luten (Designer)
- Max Gordon (Superintendent of construction)
Design
Single Lane, new bridge is two lane and downstream from former structure. One site of longest covered bridge in Indiana at 1000 feet(Howe Truss). Ice gorges are common in winter and damaged former Covered bridge in 1912, flood in 1913 took that bridge out and was replaced with concrete arch bridge.
Dimensions
Total length: 654.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
Also called
CR 150 South Bridge
Towpath bridge
Bridge 87
Georgetown Jackson bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.73861, -86.50252   (decimal degrees)
40°44'19" N, 86°30'09" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/542004/4509859 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Burrows
Inventory number
BH 42269 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • January 31, 2018: New photo from Dave King
  • April 11, 2009: New photo from James Norwood
  • April 9, 2009: Essay added by James Norwood

Sources 

  • James Norwood
  • Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com