Photo taken by Chris Light
BH Photo #102704
The Original contract for this bridge was let to the Columbia Bridge Works. They had built other bridges over the Tippecanoe to the North at Buffalo, and just South of here at Sheets Mill (Oakdale Dam). Apparently there was a problem between the two parties and the contract was reissued, this time to the Wrought Iron Bridge Company. Craven Smith was listed listed as the representative for Columbia, but his name appears as the engineer for WIBCo on the plaque of the Tioga Bridge. It is assumed that during the 2 contract lettings he changed from one company to the other.
- Two-span through truss bridge over Tippecanoe River on Tioga Road
- Carroll County, Indiana, and White County, Indiana
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1890 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Co.
- - Craven Smith (Design)
- Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Two-span Whipple through truss
Length of largest span: 225.1 ft.
Total length: 453.1 ft.
Deck width: 14.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 8.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- County Bridge 298
Paper Mill Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.73157, -86.75451 (decimal degrees)
40°43'54" N, 86°45'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/520729/4508987 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Monticello South
- Inventory numers
- INNBI 9100206 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 15881 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 10, 2018: New photos from Mike Daffron
- September 2, 2017: New video from Mike Daffron
- May 27, 2017: New photos from Mike Daffron
- April 2, 2016: New photo from Art Suckewer
- February 16, 2014: New photos from Tony Dillon
- October 7, 2011: New photos from Tom Hall
- March 28, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added other name
- March 28, 2010: New photos from Tom Hall
- February 15, 2010: New photo from Ed Hollowell
- February 15, 2010: Updated by James Norwood: Added Coordinates
- January 12, 2009: Updated by Anthony Dillon
- June 26, 2008: Updated by Paul Brandenburg: added county bridge number
- December 22, 2006: Posted photos from Chris Light