Monon - Deer Creek High Bridge
Part of the former Monon Railroad's Indy to Chicago "Air Line", this is one of two large bridges of similiar design on this route. Owasco is the other. After abandonment in 1987 rails quickly removed and it has sat silent but intact since..
- Abandoned deck girder bridge over Deer Creek on Delphi Historic Trail/Monon High Bridge Trail
- Delphi, Carroll County, Indiana
- Open to pedestrians only
- Future prospects
- Indiana Landmarks has budgeted $121,000 to repair this bridge. After repair it will be turned over to the township which plans to work with Delphi Historic Trails Association to add this bridge to their trail system that currently stretches to north side approach to bridge.
- Built ca. 1890's, abandoned in 1987
- - CSX Railroad (CSXT)
- Chicago, Indianapolis, & Louisville Railway (CIL)
- Monon Railroad (MON)
- Deck plate girder, with trestle tower supports sitting on concrete and cut limestone block piers. 60 feet high from the creek bed.
Total length: 853.0 ft.
- Also called
- Monon High Bridge Trail - Deer Creek High Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.58901, -86.64266 (decimal degrees)
40°35'20" N, 86°38'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/530238/4493196 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 36766 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 13, 2017: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Repair plans added.
- February 28, 2017: Updated by Luke: Added Google Photo Sphere, noted trail info + linked to double homicide investigation involving the bridge.
- March 30, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Correct lenght, Railroads of Indiana has it and the Wildcat Creek/Owasco bridge confused
- March 28, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added Information
- January 1, 2010: New photo from Paul Brandenburg
- June 4, 2009: New photos from James Norwood
- April 25, 2009: Updated by Curtis Lee
- July 9, 2008: Updated by Paul Brandenburg
- June 29, 2008: Added by Paul Brandenburg
- Paul Brandenburg - indianabridges [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- Curtis Lee - clee47ford [at] yahoo [dot] com
- James Norwood
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
- Lafayette Journal & Courier - Article on double homicide involving the bridge/trail