3 votes

Carrollton Bridge



Carrollton Bridge before rehabilitation

Copyright - Paul Brandenburg


Six-span concrete arch bridge over Wabash River on Carrollton Road
Carroll County, Indiana
Open to traffic -Rehabilitation completed in 2007
Built 1927
- Daniel B. Luten
Closed-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 94.1 ft.
Total length: 615.0 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 2003
Also called
Carroll County Bridge 132
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.64862, -86.65703   (decimal degrees)
40°38'55" N, 86°39'25" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/528997/4499807 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Inventory numbers
INNBI 0800101 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 03000539 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 15867 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 07/2013)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 94.3 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 2011)


Arch (10,580)
Built 1927 (671)
Built during 1920s (8,087)
Carroll County, Indiana (84)
Closed-spandrel arch (3,287)
Daniel B. Luten (35)
Deck arch (9,845)
Indiana (3,535)
NR-listed (2,737)
Open (33,513)
Owned by county (17,601)
Select (537)
Span length 75-100 feet (5,324)
Total length 500-1000 feet (2,234)
Wabash River (94)

Update Log 

  • May 3, 2008: New photos from Paul Brandenburg


  • Paul Brandenburg - indianabridges [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
  • Tom Hall - thomas [dot] hall [at] ffni [dot] com


Carrollton Road Bridge
Posted April 1, 2007, by Tom Hall

Here's a JPG version of the 2003 picture.

Carrollton Road Bridge
Posted April 1, 2007, by Tom Hall (thomas [dot] hall [at] ffni [dot] com)

This bridge has been recently reopened after an extensive rehabilitation. Surprisingly care was taken to retain its original appearance. Usually bridges like this have the sides removed and replaced with modern type guardrails. The last picture is of poor quality but was taken in 2003 before any work was done. At that time the sides were crumbling badly and actually starting to lean outward in places.

According to historical data that Iíve gathered there was an iron arch bridge here before this one, and before that a wooden covered draw bridge.

When the water is low you can see the remains of pier foundations to the north of this bridge.

For more info and pictures check out http://www.carrollcountymuseum.org/photoarchive.html.

Webmaster's note: The photos that were here have been incorporated into the main site.