Nickel Plate-St. Mary's River Bridge (Northern)
The Northern of two spans built by the Nickel Plate. This one was double-tracked and was predominately used for freight trains.
- Camelback through truss bridge over St Mary's River on Norfolk Southern Railway
- Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana
- Open to traffic
- Built ca. 1895 by the Nickel Plate Railroad
- - New York, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad (NKP)
- Norfolk & Western Railway (NW)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Seated upon cut stone abutments and wingwalls, this single-span pin-connected Camelback is divided into seven panels by verticals of reverse channels laced to one another. The heaviness of the structure is evident in the crafting of the channels and the cover plates used for the endposts and top chord. Heavy diagonals (reversed laced channels) pinned midway into the endposts stabilize the abutment panels which are of different size to adjust for off-setting the south truss by about 6' to the west. The use of cylindrical and die-forged eyebars as diagonals in the three center section panels is reversed in the opposite truss: Double die-forged eyebars are countered with cylindrical ones with turnbuckles (doubled in the most central panel). The top chord for each of the two side panels has a different slope. The typical and yet heavier double die-forged eyebars angle from the top pins downwards towards midspan, although the panel close to the center section also has an adjustable counter. The heavy girder floor beams are riveted to the vertical above the lower chord. They, in turn, have heavy girder stringers riveted to the floor beams.
The bridge carries double tracks
- Also called
- N&W - St. Mary's River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.07932, -85.15375 (decimal degrees)
41°04'46" N, 85°09'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/655089/4549204 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Fort Wayne West
- Inventory number
- BH 48806 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 17, 2020: Updated by Luke: Removed railroad from builder box
- May 12, 2020: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added and modified information
- April 17, 2020: New Street View added by Geoff Hubbs
- August 24, 2016: New photos from Steve Conro
- August 10, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "Norfolk & Western Railroad", "Railroad"
- December 17, 2011: Updated by J.P.: Added category "Pin-connected"
- May 22, 2011: Added by J.P.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com