GR&I - St. Mary's River bridge
Photo courtesy of Decatur Daily Democrat
BH Photo #188676
Part of the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad "Fishing Line" from Cincinatti to Northern Michigan in conjunction with the Pere Marquette Railroad, later part of the Pennsylvania Railroad empire. Formerly used to get from Ft. Wayne to Decatur.
- Pratt through truss bridge over St. Mary's River on Chicago Fort Wayne and Eastern Railroad via lease from CSX Transportation(nee Conrail, Penn Central, Pennsylvania Railroad, Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad)
- Decatur, Adams County, Indiana
- Replaced, dismantled and saved for possible reuse.
- Future prospects
- Now removed, with talk of this truss being moved further South near Berne and Geneva to replace a lost span on another GR&I Railroad bridge over Wabash River. That section has been abandoned for many years and may become part of a trail. Current info as of August 18, 2010
- Built 1898; Replaced 2010; Relocated 2017
- - CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Conrail (CR)
- Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad (GR&I)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- 8-panel, pinned Pratt through truss
Total length: 150.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.84873, -84.93575 (decimal degrees)
40°50'55" N, 84°56'09" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/674008/4524015 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 45027 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 1, 2018: Updated by Luke: Cleaned up history section to be dates-only.
- July 15, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad", "Penn Central Railroad", "Conrail"
- August 10, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "St. Mary's River", "Railroad"
- December 17, 2011: Updated by J.P.: Added category "Pin-connected"
- November 27, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: modified information
- August 18, 2010: Updated by James Norwood: Added replacement news video link, dates, and current status
- April 24, 2010: Added by James Norwood