Henslow Trail - Joliet Army Arsenal Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in February 2012
BH Photo #225628
Former US Government rail spur to the Army's Joliet Arsenal/Ammunition Plant used during WWII. Site has been converted to the Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie. The bridge is now a trail bridge connecting the two sections of the park. This was also Old Route 66 passing underneath.
- Deck plate girder bridge over IL53 (Old Rte 66) & UPPR (former ICG) on Former Joliet Army Arsenal Railroad
- Will County, Illinois
- Open to pedestrians
- Spur to abandoned Joliet Army Munitions Plant during WWII
- - U.S. Army of Washington, D.C.
- - Rail-to-trail
- US Army Transportation Corps (USAX)
- Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 87.9 ft.
Total length: 226.1 ft.
- Also called
- Joliet Army Arsenal Bridge
USAX - Joliet Army Arsenal Bridge
Henslow Trail - Iron Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.37623, -88.12934 (decimal degrees)
41°22'34" N, 88°07'46" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/405562/4581138 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- IL 099-0088 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 51366 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
- January 10, 2015: Updated by Luke: Added category "US Army Transportation Corps"
- February 21, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Added categories "Rail-to-trail", "US 66", "United States Army"