Photo taken July 2004 by David Backlin
BH Photo #102645
This is the fifth of five bridges built at this location, an obviously favorable place to build a bridge. The first was built in 1852.
All five bridges have had nearly the same name - Smith's Bridge or Smith Bridge.
This 5th Smith Bridge was built in 1957 as part of the new freeway alignment of US 66 between Gardner and the Tri-State Tollway (I-294). It was built on a rather severe skew of 60 degrees; note how the two spans are not aligned. The new freeway and this bridge became Interstate 55 in 1960. With several subsequent rehabilitation projects, most recently in 2014, it continues to serve over 25,000 vehicles daily in each direction on Interstate 55.
NBI and IDOT treat this as two separate bridges, one southbound (IL 099-0008) and one northbound (IL 099-0009). Traffic counts and structural conditions are shown here for the southbound bridge only, and should be doubled for total traffic count on the bridge pair.
- Pair of cantilevered through truss bridges over Des Plaines River on I-55 southwest of Joliet in Channahon
- Will County, Illinois
- Open to four lanes of traffic
- Built 1957 as part of US 66; rehabilitated 1979, 1997, and 2014.
- Cantilevered Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 485.7 ft.
Total length: 1,405.4 ft.
Deck width: 32.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.4 ft.
- Skew angle
- 60 degrees
- Also called
- Des Plaines River I-55 Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.42222, -88.19408 (decimal degrees)
41°25'20" N, 88°11'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/400218/4586316 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- IL 099-0008 (Illinois bridge number)
IL 099-0009 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 15740 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 60.6 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- June 1, 2015: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added photos, and added category "Riveted"
- May 15, 2015: Updated by Roger Deschner: Add description, link to predecessor bridge; add skew angle
- May 19, 2014: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added category "US 66"
- February 21, 2012: New photos from Steve Conro
- March 29, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: Corrected Name To Smith Bridge
- January 9, 2006: Corrected location map, thanks John White