Smith's Covered Bridge
This is the second of five bridges built at this location, obviously a favorable place to build a bridge. It replaced a bridge built in 1852. The most recent bridge here was built in 1957 and carries Interstate 55.
Little is known about this bridge, except that it was built in 1865 by F. E. Hinkley, and it was a covered bridge.
- Lost Bridge over Des Plaines River on road
- Will County, Illinois
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1865; replaced 1911
- - F. E. Hinkley
- Covered bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.41992, -88.19863 (decimal degrees)
41°25'12" N, 88°11'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/399834/4586066 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 67595 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 15, 2015: Added by Roger Deschner
- Roger Deschner - rogerdeschner [at] gmail [dot] com
- People of the State of Illinois, Ex. Rel. Charles S. Deneen, Governor, and William H. Stead, Attorney General, Appellant, Vs. Economy Light and Power Company, Appellee: Chancery, Appeal from Circuit Court, Grundy County, Abstract of Record (Google eB - Historic account of the first two Smith's Bridges
- Historic Aerials - Click "1931" at left to see 1931 USGS Topo map showing location of bridge. Compare to 1937 map showing replacement bridge.