UP Mississippi River Bridge (Clinton, East Channel)
Photo taken by Steve Conro in August 2012
Eastern span of three bridges that make up this river crossing. Crosses Cat Tail slough which as only an open channel at high water. All within Illinois. Bridge and certainly piers look newer than the other two bridges. 1912 map doesn't show Cat Tail slough to exist. Lock and Dam system in the 1930's probably changed the river layout, creating the need for this bridge.
- Deck plate girder bridge over Cat Tail Slough (Miss. River East Channel) on UPRR (Former C&NW)
- East Clinton, Whiteside County, Illinois
- Future prospects
- Plan is to raise the current grade so the west bridge won't need a moveable span to accommodate barge traffic. I'd assume this bridge would be in jeopardy also.
- Built 1909
- Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 50.0 ft.
Total length: 550.0 ft.
- Also called
- Union Pacific Sunfish Slough Bridge
Union Pacific Cattail Slough Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.83646, -90.17127 (decimal degrees)
41°50'11" N, 90°10'17" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/734878/4635487 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory number
- BH 53130 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 28, 2012: Updated by John Marvig: Added dimensions
- December 28, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added builder
- August 13, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- August 11, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Canadian Pacific Railway", "Iowa, Chicago, and Eastern Railroad"
- August 11, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Added categories "Chicago & Northwestern Railway", "Dakota, Minnesota, and Eastern Railroad", "Union Pacific Railroad"
- Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Luke Harden - lukemh9 [at] gmail [dot] com
- John Marvig - johnmarvig [at] chaska [dot] net