UP - Clinton Bridge (Middle Channel)
Photo taken by Steve Conro in August 2012
BH Photo #237498
Center of three spans that make up this river crossing. Spanning from Little Rock Island across Mississippi middle channel and across Willow Island to Cat Tail Slough public use area. All within Illinois.
1909 could be assumed as a build date but there is a row of piers along side this span to the south. So this could have been a second generation bridge.
- Through truss bridge over Mississippi River Center Channel on Union Pacific Railroad
- Whiteside County, Illinois
- Future prospects
- Scheduled for demolition and replacement. Plan is to raise the current grade so the west bridge won't need a moveable span to accommodate barge traffic.
- Built 1909 replacing an older single track bridge
- - Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- - Canadian Pacific Railway (CP)
- Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Dakota, Minnesota, & Eastern Railroad (DME)
- Iowa, Chicago & Eastern Railroad (ICE)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- 10 spans total. From east to west; 1-74' deck plate girder approach, 1 larger camelback through truss then 8 smaller through trusses. Two of these smaller ones are on and cross Willow Island and the farthest west truss is on Little Rock Island and are hidden from view.
Length of largest span: 206.0 ft.
Total length: 1,416.0 ft.
- Also called
- CNW - Clinton Bridge (Middle Channel)
C&NW Bridge #0.5
C&NW Bridge #1/2
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.83640, -90.17792 (decimal degrees)
41°50'11" N, 90°10'41" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/734326/4635462 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 53129 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 31, 2018: New photos from John Marvig
- October 9, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- December 28, 2012: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- December 28, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected builder to Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Co.
- December 27, 2012: Updated by John Marvig: Added build date and builder
- December 27, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added builder.
- August 13, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- August 12, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added span types & two categories
- August 12, 2012: New photos from Steve Conro
- August 11, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Chicago & North Western Railway", "Canadian Pacific Railway", "Iowa, Chicago, and Eastern Railroad", "Union Pacific Railroad"
- August 11, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Added category "Chicago & Northwestern Railway"