From an article in the The Danville Democrat, July 10, 1903: "the bridge committe reported that they had had a meeting with township commissioners and had gone over 3 bids that were received for a bridge at the dam in Ellsworth Park. The lowest bid by Lafayette Engineering Company of $10,950 was accepted and the bridge committee and the Mayor were instructed to sign the contract."
Most of the bridges over the Vermilion and North Fork were of dual ownership - owned by the City of Danville and Danville Township. This one was unusual in that it was owned by the city, Danville Township, and the Illinois Traction Company. The city paid $3,000, the township $4,000, and the balance of the cost was paid by Illinois Traction.
When the Woolen Mill bridge was condemned and closed in 1914, the city ordered that the interurban bridge be planked over, and it became the route for wagon traffic across the North Fork, as well as interurban traffic.
On April 27th, 1928, a train of 6 cars carrying washed coal from Decatur and 2 locomotives approached the bridge. The coal was destined for the power house in downtown Danville. Illinois Traction had a rule against more than 3 cars crossing the bridge at a time, so 3 cars were cut out and left in the Ellsworth Park siding. At 5:50 am, as the 3rd coal car entered the bridge, the bridge collapsed under the weight of the train. The 1st and 3rd cars landed in the water with their ends propped against the abutments. The middle car landed in the water and tipped over. A brakeman riding the 3rd car managed to hang on and was able to climb out of the wreckage. The collapse was attributed to severe corrosion. A temporary timber pile bridge was built, and while plans were being made for a more permanent bridge, trains were again crossing the river by Monday morning.